Monday, December 22, 2008

The Snow Continues to Fall

We made it thru the weekend, as inch after inch of snow piled up. It's Monday afternoon as I'm writing this. I measured the snow this morning - 14 inches - maybe more - depends on where it's measured. Greg and Charisse are stuck in Seattle and may not be able to make it down for Christmas. Greg was going to drive down tomorrow, and Charisse was going to take the train when she got off work on Wednesday - Christmas Eve. I don't think that is going to happen - but we'll wait and see. I will work on manifesting opportunities for them to get here.

Christmas Eve as always is planned at Margie and Bill's, but I'm not sure if that will work or not. Don was going to fly up from California tomorrow, but the airport is a mess and hundreds of flights have been cancelled. At this point it sounds like he will just stay put in California and not even try to make the trip.

Dave shoveled off the driveway, dug out his van, and put chains on his car this morning. We ventured as far a Hagan's for a few groceries we needed. The streets were deep with snow, and the only people not slipping and sliding were people with chains or four wheel drive - and even some of them were sliding. The worst part of the trip was trying to avoid all of the people walking along the sides of the road - some pullng their kids on sleds. Really dangerous for them - once a car started sliding, there was really no way to control where it was going. I hope no one is hurt!

I think we're in for the rest of the day. The Blazers will be on TV at 6pm, so we'll just settle in and watch the game. We have plenty of food, and of course some wine - what more could we want?

I just heard on TV that not enough TSA people showed up to work at the airport today, so all those stranded people are being shuttled thru the D and E concourse. Just something to add to the merriment of the poor people stranded there for days on end. Some people have now been there for four days - with small children- YIKES!

I've taken pictures the last few days, but haven't downloaded them yet. As soon as I do, I'll be sure to add some of them to todays ramblings.

This is supposed to be the worst snowstorm in Portland since 1950 - wow! I'll keep updating as I have news to report.

No comments: