Saturday, December 1, 2007

Civil War Game - OSU vs U of O

Today is the most awaited day of the year for football fans in Oregon - the annual civil war game between Oregon State - the school of most of the people in my family - and University of Oregon - the school of my oldest son. We are a house divided. These are very coveted tickets, and very difficult to come by. There is always a lot of excitement during game week - well, actually for weeks before the actual game day. This year we had the added excitement of the promise of the biggest storm in years occurring over the weekend. The particulars of the storm varied from day to day, hour to hour and station to station - and none of them matched in detail - only that it would be BAD. Game day the prediction was for snow - anywhere from a trace to two inches on the the valley floor, and to start anytime from waking up in the morning with snow on the ground - to beginning between 10:00am and noon. All of this uncertainty was unsettling for many people - two of them being my son and daughter - in - law who would be driving down from Seattle for the game. The game this year is at U of O in Eugene - thousands of cars and fans drive I-5 from points north all the way down the freeway to Eugene - always a major traffic nightmare - even without snow or stormy weather. The only thing agreed on by all reports - the snow would be gone for the return drive home. Good news!

The game is on now - 2nd quarter as I write this - and the OSU Beavers are ahead - 21 - 7 - Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! G0 Beavs. Uh oh! The Ducks just scored - 21 - 14 - Beavers ahead.

Now on to the rest of the weekend weather news. There are apparently three separate storms - the first was the snow storm, the second is a wind storm to start on Sunday, and the third is a windstorm on Monday. The winds are supposed to be upwards of 100 mph at the beach with waves anywhere from 25 - 40 feet! There will be 2-3 inches of rain in the Portland area, and several feet of snow in the mountains.

Storm preparation (my forte!) began taking place at my house on Friday. My family laughs and scoffs at my elaborate planning and preparing - sure that none of what I have done is truly necessary. Of course, I think they would not be too happy to be in a house with no electricity, or heat - and no one has thought far enough ahead to round up the flashlights and candles ( of which they think I have too many), the battery operated radio and TV ( again, think - overkill), and bought food which does not need a stove or oven to be prepared. I drag out the extra blankets - no heat, and the electric blankets don't work - I'm ready and in my element! My family thinks I'm crazy.

No comments: