Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

It's Mother's Day today. I'm not so sure about this holiday - I think for a lot of people it just brings up bad memories, or makes them unhappy for other reasons. I'm lucky I have three children who were thoughtful enough to acknowledge the day - though were not able to be here. One brought me a beautiful hanging fuchsia - my traditional Mother's Day gift since I celebrated my very first Mother's Day 28 years ago. The other two were out of town, but both called, and sent cards. We will celebrate with a nice dinner next weekend when they will be able to be here in town. Another Hallmark created holiday.

The sun is out, the sky is blue - it gives us hope for the promise of summer - I think we've given up on spring. It is cold out - feels more like a day in November than mid May - global warming? I think I will work on my flower pots this week - pull out the weeds, dig up the dirt, add some fertilizer. Next weekend I can plant some flowers - not too many, but a few. My yard is so overgrown with trees, and so shady, not much grows in the way of flowers. I'd love to get at least one of the big trees taken down, and get the photinia trimmed back by at least half - we'll see.

This week we're moving on to the second bathroom re- do. I think we'll paint on Tuesay, rip up the floor on Wednesday, start setting the tile on Thursday, finish setting on Friday. By Saturday we should be ready to put in the new toilet, and then put the first coat of sealer on the floor. At least that seems like the way it might go . . . . . .

A lot has happened in the last few weeks - most of which I have not written about - and I don't think I will now either. They are the kinds of life changing events happening to other people, that cause each of us to look at our own lives. Some have been terrible tragedies, some magical events filled with joy. I am grateful for all that I have, and will pray for those in pain.

No comments: